Thursday 2 October 2014

Millamia's Naturally Soft Aran Yarn

Ida cowl knitted in naturally soft aran
Trying a new yarn is always a thrill, especially when it's so smooth and knitable as Millamia's latest product - naturally soft aran. 

The pattern and yarn company Millamia is based in London (hence me including it as British) with a Scandinavian design heritage. I've knitted baby cardigans and a blanket before in the company's naturally soft merino and, being pleased with that, I had high expectations of the aran yarn launch.

In the past I've sometimes found aran to be slightly prickly and scratchy, which has put me off using it for knitting anything that sits next to the skin. Millamia's aran, however, lives up to its naturally soft name and is a joy to knit with. It's £5.50 for a 50g ball bought direct from Millamia, and comes in lots of bright colours.

I received a review sample of four balls of naturally soft aran yarn in magenta and the accompanying pattern book Finishing Touch to review. All opinions are my own. The pattern book contains lots of delicious winter knits including scarves, cowls, hats and wristwarmers. It also includes a slightly inconguous pattern for a pencil case, which I turned the page over from quickly.

Finishing Touch pattern book
Top of my list is the Ida cowl. I quickly got my knitting needles out and within four nights had happily completed it. It was a dream to knit - the yarn doesn't split - and the pattern was easy enough to knit whilst watching TV yet had enough variation to make it interesting. It feels a joy to wear and I'm sure will be a staple to keep me warm this Winter.


The photography Finishing Touch is stunning and the patterns will interest both beginner and more advanced knitters. Whilst the book is comprehensive on accessory patterns I'd like to see in future some women's jumper and cardigan patterns to support the yarn.  Naturally soft aran does what it says on the tin and would knit up a wonderfully pleasurable to wear garments.

Both the yarn and pattern book are available at millamia.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© A Woolly Yarn. Powered by