Tuesday 10 November 2015

Knitting & Pain

Recently I've not been too well. The chronic pain and exhaustion that comes with my physical disability has come more often than gone and my days haven't been productive.

When I'm in lots of pain life literally slows to a halt. I'm not up to doing any work, reading a book, watching TV or - and here's the rub - even knitting. Milder pain however, knitting is fabulous for, I find that getting lost in its rhythm is perfect for de-stressing. Plus when I have done some knitting, whether it's finishing off a complicated project or just having done a few garter stitch rows of a baby blanket, I feel I have achieved something in that day that's concrete and visible. It's important to me to know that I have done something useful with my day, however small that useful thing might be.

I haven't done much knitting in the last few weeks, hence the lack of posts. I did, however, manage to finish knitting a pair of Clare Devine's Elgin socks for a Brit Yarn Great British Socks KAL on Ravelry. I used up some Debbie Bliss Blue Faced Leicester Aran yarn and was pleased to be part of a the online group championing British wool and British designers.

Here are my Elgin comfy bedsocks:


Now I have a baby blanket and two jumpers to finish before Christmas for presents and then my treat is to cast on the jumper Cloudburst using West Yorkshire Spinners' new Illustrious yarn.

If you are interested in knitting as therapy and its use in combatting pain I recommend reading these articles:

Mail Online - Knitting can reduce stress
ENDOhope - How knitting helps me with my chronic pain and fatigue
BBC Radio 4 - All In The Mind: A knitting prescription

No comments:

Post a Comment

© A Woolly Yarn. Powered by