Thursday 7 July 2016

Free Cowl Pattern Using Loop's Alpaca Tweed

Back in June I blogged about Loop's British alpaca tweed yarn. Since I published my review I've had time to write a cowl pattern that plays with herringbone stitch and only needs one skein. The yarn was a joy to knit with, holding stitch patterns well. Being worsted weight it knits up quite quickly, which is always a bonus, particularly when on a break from trying to complete more of Kate Davies' Catkin sweater in 4 ply!

I hate modelling my knits but due to lack of time to persuade someone else to model my cowl that I've named Lichen (due to 'The Hotel of Bees' colour and the stitch pattern) I've made an exception.


The pattern was very satisfying to create. Here's a close up:



This turned out to be a very interesting and fulfilling project. Here follows the pattern. Feel free to use it but if you reproduce it please quote that it's copyright AWoollyYarn and give a link to this blog.

Lichen Cowl Pattern

Yarn - one 100g skein of Loop's alpaca tweed yarn.

Pair of 8mm needles.

Using cable cast on method cast on 99 stitches.

Row 1 - K2. (SSK, dropping on the the first stitch off your right needle. Repeat this until you have two stitches remaining on your left needle.) K2.

Row 2 - K2. (P2tog, dropping only the first stitch off your right needle. Repeat this until you have two stitches remaining on your left needle.) K2.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until you have the width that you require to wrap the cowl around your neck - some people like them tighter than others.

Row 3 Knit to end.

Row 4. Knit to end.

Cast off knitwise.

To sew up:

Block your finished work then sew together the cast on and cast off ends.

If you do have a go knitting Lichen please let me know how you get on via the comments box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© A Woolly Yarn. Powered by