Saturday 5 April 2014

First Self-Published Book For Marie Wallin

For the past few years I've subscribed to Rowan's Knitting and Crochet Magazine and have seen Marie Wallin's delicate patterns in there. She joined Rowan in 2005 as Head Designer and has been responsible for many a beloved pattern and was also a member of the team that introduced the Rowan Purelife yarn range. With its eco-credentials Purelife is a favourite with me.

Dill. Picture courtesy of Marie Wallin
Now, as well as still working with Rowan as a freelancer, Marie has launched her own website and released her first self-published pattern collection: Windswept. She describes the collection as "a celebration of traditional fairisle and cable patterning with a hint of crochet. The modern and classic fit garments are equally perfect to wear at home or on bracing country or seaside walks and look great styled with tartans and plaids."

I recognise the model on the front cover from a Purelife pattern book I have. Windswept's photography and styling are up to Rowan's always high standard. Believe me, you'll look at the patterns and want to knit everything. EVERYTHING. From my favourite, the cover jumper Dill, which has a pretty crochet neck trim, to the adorable fairisle sweater dress Sage, all the patterns have a timeless and slightly Scottish feel. They make me long for nippy days to throw on a wrap and beret, not the burgeoning Spring sunshine we have at the moment. Well almost anyway...

Sage. Picture courtesy of Marie Wallin
These aren't, however, patterns for beginners or those not confident with their knitting skills. Dill, using just one colour and having a cable pattern on the arms, is the most accessible pattern in the collection. My beloved sweater dress, Sage, though, uses 13 different colours. At first look the black and white schematic showing the design made me gulp with fear. Looking more closely it makes perfect sense, it just requires a lot of concentration and dedication.

As I already have a long 'to knit' list, complete with patterns and yarns, Windswept is a book I'll add lovingly to my collection and pick up in a year or so when I'm looking for a new challenge. Here's hoping by then I'll be confident enough to knit Sage. Meanwhile in July Marie is publishing Lakeland, her second collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment

© A Woolly Yarn. Powered by