Monday 24 August 2015

Autumn Brings Three New All-British Yarns

Cornish Tin - image courtesy of Blacker Yarns
Autumn has always been my favourite season, not that I don't like the others but there's something cosy and comforting about the nights drawing in, the red hues of leaves on the trees as they begin to fall, and getting those comfy woollen jumpers out of the back of the wardrobe.

This year there are three more reasons to love Autumn: the launch of three new all-British yarns. I hope to review them all when they are on the market but, until then, here's all the information I can glean so far ...

Buachaille by Kate Davies
Newly-wed prolific knitwear designer Kate Davies, whose Catkin jumper is still in my work in progress pile, teased her email followers with news that she's soon launching her own yarn. Called Buachaille (apparently pronounced byookaya), it will be produced from Scottish wool and spun in Yorkshire.

Forget any preconceptions about Scottish wool being coarse and scratchy. Kate says: "My yarn will be woolly and spring and durable - speaking of this land, and of the animals that grew it - but it will also be smooth and light and soft enough to wear next to the skin."

There's no word yet as to colours, weights or prices, but Kate has set up an email list for those who want to be first to here. Go here to sign up.

Illustrious by West Yorkshire Spinners
West Yorkshire Spinners is keeping details of this yarn  under wrap, with the company placing tantalising adverts in various knitting magazines it trailing it with the picture of a closed box. The suspense is killing me ...

Cornish Tin by Blacker Yarns
I loved Blacker Yarns' previous yarn launch. Read my review of Lyonesse here. Expectations, therefore are high for the forthcoming Cornish Tin, a limited release 10th birthday blend for the company. The yarn will be in both 4ply and DK weights, comprising of British fibres spun in Cornwall.

The launch date is 18th September with five colours in the range. All five are striking but from the publicity photograph my favourite is the bluey-green.

I'll review the yarns as soon as I can get my hands on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© A Woolly Yarn. Powered by